Term 1 Adventures

Fabulous Foundation Families,

ただいま! (Ta-da-i-ma)
“I’m back!”

Words cannot express how excited I am to have returned to the thriving,friendly, bustling learning community that is our wonderful St Mark’s Catholic Primary School! I was overwhelmed with the students, staff and families taking the time to warmly welcome me home and, for those who know me, I didn’t take long to hit the ground running in setting my own goals for the learning year ahead. The experiences I had as a learner in Japan were challenging yet affirming and certainly drew on our ethos of having a Growth Mindset to be a dynamic learner.

But first, a few important items to address.

A huge and heartfelt welcome to our bubbly Mrs Barker for transitioning Foundation K on my behalf, the children were very settled and familiar with all of the necessary routines and I was so excited to join them on their learning journey.Thanks again Mrs Barker, you will be VERY missed.

This aside, we cannot forget to mention the diligent efforts put in by the Foundation team, Mr Mirabella and the newly welcomed Ms Allenby. The tireless work put in at the end of 2016 is just as critical and a huge contributor to the success in the children and families adjusting so smoothly, I am so pleased to be flanked by two outstanding educators as we embark on the next stage of learning together, as both teachers and learners ourselves.

In closing, with the term almost drawing to an end it is the time we continue to assess the students’ current understandings and look forward to differentiating learning opportunities. With this in mind, we welcome the use of a partnership approach in working with each of the student’s and their individual needs. Please do not feel at all alarmed if your child’s teacher requests a small amount of time to conference with you about manageable tasks you can be doing at home in order to assist your child within their school environment. Aside from this the fabulous website which was introduced at transition sessions, www.learningpotential.edu.au continues to offer a treasure trove of activities to implement in an informal and relaxed fashion at home.

In general, each child has their individual High Frequency Word list in their reading journal. These words are PIVOTAL to their reading development so please ensure you are providing your child enough opportunities to practise the list of words in a variety of ways and orders, as they need to be memorized in no specific order for them to be considered mastered.

You may find your child is still unfamiliar with the concept of a “word” so generalized conversation about letters, sounds and words being constructed from letters can help consolidate classroom ideas. It shifts the students from “spelling out” the letters, and has them change to a meaning based focus on the word- a crucial skill in reading.

With thanks and enthusiasm for a fabulous year,

Mrs Lauren Koziol
Foundation Level Leader and teacher

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.